Cook time: 45 mins
Servings: about 10
3 tbsp butter
2 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
16 oz Velveeta
1 ½ cups milk
16 oz shredded Pepper Jack cheese, divided in half
16 oz shredded mild Cheddar cheese, divided in half
8 oz Monterey Jack cheese (for cheese crisps)
16 oz elbow macaroni
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the Velveeta into small cubes, then melt in a pot with the milk, on low heat.
- Stir often so the cheese doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- While the cheese is melting, cook the macaroni. If you cook it ahead of time, it won’t be hot enough to melt all of the shredded cheese.
- Pour the hot macaroni into a large bowl or pot.
- Add the salt, pepper, butter, eggs, and the melted cheese mixture.
- Stir well-be sure the butter is melted.
- Add in half the Cheddar and Pepper Jack, and keep stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Pour the mixture into a large baking dish and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining Pepper Jack and Cheddar on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Once you see the cheese bubbling around 25 minutes, turn on your broiler for about 2 minutes to brown the top, then remove from oven.
- Sprinkle the cheese crisps on top.
For the cheese crisps:
- Place a baking mat or parchment paper on a baking pan.
- Make handful-size piles of Monterey Jack cheese on the pan. Space them out, because they will spread in the oven.
- Bake these until they look dry and just turning brown. (with our oven on 375 degrees, it took exactly 25 minutes.
- Once they’re slightly cool, break them up